Day 1: Getting There
It only took 14 hours from our house to our hotel room:
- Wake at 3:30 AM
- Drive to Sea Tac, 4-4:40
- Check bags, park, check in, board shuttle to SF
- Fly to SF, 6-8
- Walk to gate 84, arrive, see no plane for Honolulu, which was supposed
to be a 747 leaving at 8:30
- Re-check departure screen, read gate as "67"; start walking
back, discover that flight number is 67, and gate is 84, delayed to 9 AM
- Back at gate 84, check in, attempting to get two assigned single seats
re assigned together
- Start to board plane; discover two boarding passes are lost
- Wait while United personnel decide not to charge us $600 for "lost
- Cody and I board plane last, but we are all happy. Boarding passes
- Cody and Ann sit together, falling asleep on each other.
- Shaine sits by window and aisle, Al stays stuck in middle
- Arrive Honolulu at noon, HST, and board Wikiwiki shuttle to Aloha gate.
- Arrive Aloha terminal, eat Burger King for lunch.
- For some reason Ann has a first class ticket, so we all get to board
at the head of the line. Ann graciously gives her ticket to Cody.
- Arrive Lihue, Kauai at 2 PM, get luggage and car.
- Load Al's bike into trunk, discover nothing else will fit.
- Jam the six other suitcases in anyway, removing the contents from two
- Drive to Poipu
- Arrive hotel 3 PM. Sheraton has eliminated "check-in" Bell
boys do that work as well as take bags to room.
- 3:30 PM: Ready to go to the Beach!
Ann and Shaine hit the waves, Cody tries snorkeling, but can't figure
out how to breath under water. We all stroll around a bit, aimlessly, marveling
at the blue sky and balmy weather. The girls go to a cheap Mexican take
out, which they will talk about for the rest of the trip, while Cody, Cheryl,
and Al go to the Seafood buffet. Finding out that each person costs $35,
Cheryl and Al settle for entree or starter plus drinks, and end up paying
$97 for the three of us. To bed at 6:45 PM HST.
Day 2: Waimea Canyon
Back to main page